MENDLINGTAL – On the wooden path
A Day in Mendlingtal (Mendling Valley)…
Whether for seniors, families, or groups, Mendling Valley, at the foot of the Hochkar Mountain, offers wonderful opportunities for every age group to spend a relaxing, or even exciting, day in beautiful natural surroundings. The hike, accessible every day from 1 May to 31 October, starts at the village pond in Lassing and leads you over the former coal path down to the Ticket Office, where toilet facilities are available, in addition to those located at the car park in Lassing. (Walking time: approx. 15 minutes)
Once you reach the end of the initial downhill walk, opposite the Ticket Office, you will find the former Blacksmith’s Apprentice House, which is now home to a museum with a cinema, a mini log-drift system including a water wheel, a smokehouse kitchen and, of course, the Blacksmith’s Forge – all of which transports the visitor back in time. In addition to our museum, you can also discover the Venetian saw, a barefoot path, an old horse-drawn timber wagon, or a hand-held fire pump from the old days. Smaller visitors can explore a mini-climbing garden, admire the Insect House, or pay a visit to our two pigs: “Ringel & Schnüffel”.
From here you embark on the hike through the valley: First, you cross a wide footbridge over a large waterfall, where you can take a look into the “drifting channel”. The paths and footbridges lead you about 2.5 km (about 1.5 hours) along the stream towards the farm and manor house. There you can end your walk with some delicious regional home cooking.
Along the way there are many different opportunities to rest and listen to the babbling stream. Roughly halfway along the route is the “Klaushütte” – the meeting point at which our popular log-drift demonstrations begin.
The path now leads you to the Hermitage, where the water forms a deep green reservoir. Once you have enjoyed observing the trout in the reservoir, continue towards the big gorge, from which point there is an impressive view of the Hochkar Mountain. A few minutes later, you will hear the loud sound of rushing water. Now you have reached our Großeggerquelle (the Großegger Spring), where you can quench your thirst with fresh spring water of the highest quality. The next attraction now awaits your admiration: our Old Grain Mill from 1893, still in working condition and located directly below the spring.
Next, you continue past our “Trifter Lois” where, after a few steps, you will reach the fishponds via a footbridge. You can feed the trout, sturgeon & char that swim here – there is a fish food dispenser next to the ponds – after which you yourself will be happy to reach the “Herrenhaus Hof”, snack station, a few short minutes away.
If you are too tired for the return hike, you have the opportunity to call the “Mendlingtal-Taxi” from the snack station: the taxi will take you directly back to the car park in Lassing.
The taxi runs from Tuesday – Sunday. On Mondays there is NO taxi service!
Come and see our beautiful natural jewel for yourself, and you will see why it is no wonder that Mendling Valley was voted “Most Beautiful Place in Lower Austria, 2014”!
Winner of the Lower Austrian: “9 Places 9 Treasures” Prize in 2014
NOTE: Because of the narrow paths, footbridges and stairs, it is recommended NOT to bring a pushchair on this hike.
- Central Europe’s last functioning timber log-drift system
- Unique valley with a ravine
- Unparalleled nature experience
- Großegger mill – milling demonstrations
- Venetian rift saws – sawing demonstrations
- Blacksmith’s Apprentice House with museum and embossing machines for minting coins (embossing plates can be got at the Ticket Office!)
- Manor fish ponds with fish food dispenser
Offers for Children:
- Jewel Hunt in Mendling Valley: “ “On the Wooden Tail” Young and old explorers can discover the wonderful World on Water by playing and having fun, following the trail of Ferraculus and unlocking the secret of the precious jewel. Come and join us! Every Tuesday: 1 July – 31 August: 10:00 (Meeting Point: Village Pond in Lassing!) Price: €2.00
- Riddle: Professor Eisenstein hears about the “Green Gold” in Mendling Valley. Is it a particularly valuable kind of gold? He makes his way to Mendling Valley to search for the Secret of the Green Gold. And behold! Ferraculus was once here, too. An exciting jewel hunt will take you on Ferraculus’s trail through Mendling Valley, where you will uncover the Secret of the Green Gold.
- Visit our pigs: “Ringel & Schnüffel”
- Guided hike through the valley
- Jewel hunt & riddles
- A snack (sausages) & drink at Herrenhaus Hof
- Birthday present (T-shirt)
- mall reward for the diligent treasure hunters
Price:For the birthday child and five friends: €65.00 (€9.50 for each additional child)
- Drifting Demonstrations: May – 31 October. Every 1st Sunday & 3rd Saturday of
the month: 13.30 at the “Klaushütte”, & 14:00 at the Rechen (Rake)
In the Ticket Office building you can find:
- Baby changing facilities (in the ladies’ WC)
- Coffee vending machine
- Drink vending machine
1 May to 31 October, daily 9.00 to 5.00pm
(1 May – 31 October)
Guided Tour: €55.00
Combo Tour: €95.00 (including operation of the Venetian saw & mill)
Drifting Demonstration: €215.0
Child (U15): €3.00
Our Tip for Your Trip
Mendling Valley-Hochkar Adventure World – From the Water to the Mountain
- Travel to the summit of the Hochkar Mountain by chairlift and enjoy the surrounding views at Hochkar‘s 360° Sky Tour Observation Platform
- Thematic Trail: “Die Kraft des Wassers”: Steinbachtal mit Klamm (The Power of Water: Steinbach Valley with Gorge)
- Eulenweg Steinbach – A trail where visitors can learn all about owls
- A walk through the town of Göstling
- Ybbstaler Brine Bath
- The “Leckermoos” upland moor on the Hochreit plateau
- Palfauer waterhole gorge
- Rafting and canyoning