The Most Beautiful Combination of Technology and Nature!
On an 84 km track, the Mariazell Railway connects the provincial capital, St. Pölten, with the
Pielach Valley, the Ötscher-Tormäuer Nature Park and the Styrian place of pilgrimage, Mariazell.
In the modern low-floor trains known as the “Himmelstreppe” (Stairway to Heaven), you can travel particularly comfortably. The journey is made all the more pleasant with its modern interior, air conditioning and the passenger information system onboard.
A particular highlight is to travel first class in the luxurious panoramic carriage: The generous panoramic windows, the catering service with local meals and drinks, and the comfortable leather seating all make this journey an unforgettable experience.
In addition to the rail journey, there are extra highlights on the themed journeys such as the Culinary Delights Trains or the Dirndl Valley Musical Express. The hiking trains bring you comfortably through the Ötscher-Tormäuer Nature Park. Special trains are organised on the Mariazell Railway to bring you comfortably to large events, such as the Pielach Valley Dirndl Festival or the Mariazell Advent.
The Operations Centre Laubenbachmühle contains a train station, workshops, a coach house, a bistro and the Operations Management Centre. During the tour you can take a look behind the scenes and learn everything worth knowing about the history and operations of the Mariazell Railway. Takes: 45 min
You can find the timetable, information on prices and discounts, as well as photographs and much more at: www.mariazellerbahn.at
- Combined Offers: In addition to the rail journey, our combined offers include an additional place of excursion, such as the “Gemeindealpe-Mitterbach!”
- Hiking Trains: From 5 May – 28 October our hiking trains bring you comfortably through the Ötscher-Tormäuer Nature Park!
- First Class Panoramic Carriage: Exclusive first class interior with onboard catering – a pleasurable start and finish to your excursion.
- Operations Centre Laubenbachmühle: On a guided tour, take a look behind the scenes of the Mariazell Railway!
- Events: Mariazell Narrow-Gauge Railway Festival on 16 & 17 June 2018 in 5 locations in the Pielach Valley along the Mariazell Railway.
- Nostalgia: The modern “Himmelstreppe” (Stairway to Heaven) is not the only train regularly underway on the Mariazell Railway. The nostalgic train Ötscherbär is also in operation, pulled by the historic electric locomotive or the steam train Mh.6.
- The “Himmelstreppe”: Modern low floor carriages make your journey a particularly comfortable one. Large entrances, disabled access and a modern passenger information system are just some of the conveniences in the train. The generous compartments offer lots of space for bicycles, pushchairs and persons with limited mobility. Some stations also have disabled access.
- In the Operations Centre Laubenbachmühle, the heart of the Mariazell Railway, take a look behind the scenes at the popular narrow-gauge railway. On a guided tour you will see the station, coach house, workshops and the Operations Management Centre and learn all there is to know about the history and operation of the Mariazell Railway.
- In the Laubenbachmühle Bistro, you will find many tasty breakfast options, as well as, hearty delicacies and desserts. In the souvenir shop, railway fans can purchase treasured gifts, such as the Mariazell Railway models, books, notebooks, keyrings and regional specialities.
Information und Beratung
Telefon: +43 2742 360 990-99
- The “Himmelstreppe” is in daily operation – 365 days per year
- First Class Panoramic Carriage Season: Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 5 May – 28 October 2018
- E-Nostalgia Train “Ötscherbär” Season: Saturdays from 2 June – 29 September 2018 and also on 1 December 2018
- Mh. 6 Steam Train Dates: 13 May, 10 June, 8 July, 12 August, 9 September,
14 October and 8 December 2018
- Laubenbachmühle Operations Centre and Bistro Opening Times:
- Daily: 09:00 – 15:00
Examples of Prices:
“Himmelstreppe” entire route from St. Pölten main railway station to Mariazell (one way)
Adult: € 17,00
Child: € 8,50
“Himmelstreppe” partial route from Laubenbachmühle to Mariazell (one way)
Adult: € 8,80
Child: € 4,40
The price of the journey depends on the route. Boarding at any station is possible. The following tickets and discount cards are valid on the “Himmelstreppe”:
- All NÖVOG tickets
- All East Region and Styrian Transport Authority (”VOR” and ”VST”) tickets
- All ÖBB Vorteilscards (40% discount) and the ÖBB Österreichcard (except for National Service Personnel)
- Group discounts (20 people or more)
- NÖ Familienpass (Lower Austrian Family Pass): 20% discount on the “Himmelstreppe”
- “Wilde Wunder Card” (Wild Wonder Card): 50% discount on as many journeys as you wish, during your stay.
Please note the special rates for trips in the nostalgia trains!
Niederösterreich-Card (Lower Austrian Card): One single journey on the entire route in the E-Nostalgia “Ötscherbär” train (2nd class) from 2 June – 29 September
Where can you buy your ticket?
Online at: webshop.noevog.at
In the NÖVOG Information Centre at: email@example.com or Tel. +43 2742 360 990-99
On the Mariazell Railway trains – from the conductor without a surcharge (cash)
At all ÖBB ticket machines and ticket counters, as well as, in the ÖBB ticket shop (website, mobile phone)
Guided tours in the Laubenbachmühle Operations Centre – Please book in advance!
- Adult: € 6,00
- Child: € 3,00
- Group flat rates upon request at the NÖVOG Information Centre