Contact & Informations
2734 Puchberg am Schneeberg
+43 2742 360 990-1000
+43 2636 32 62
Visible from afar, the Schneeberg is the highest mountain in Lower Austria. Here, nature is unspoilt and you can find flourishing and bright Alpine pastures with rare plants and lots of mountain animals, as well as, having a magnificent view of the surrounding mountains. With the cogwheel railway, the “Salamander”, you can reach this panoramic paradise in a trip that takes around 40 minutes. The Schneeberg and the cogwheel railway make this a great day out for families, those interested in art, hikers and pleasure-seekers. Escape for the day – up in TRANQUILITY! We warmly invite you to an unforgettable excursion.
- Extensive, beautiful hiking area
- Free Hearonymus audio guide on your smartphone (only in German language)
- Climate swing from 577 m to 1,800 m above sea level
- Empress Elisabeth Memorial Church, the art nouveau jewel on the Schneeberg
- Dessert lovers get their money’s worth at the Baumgartner stop. Here you can get the delicious Schneeberg “Buchteln”.
- Hengsttal stop – VOKA art gallery
- On Sundays and public holidays in July and August you can experience a nostalgic ride on the Nostalgia Steam Train
- Monitor information on all Salamander trains
- Catering: Hengsthütte, Baumgartner stop, Damböckhaus and Fischerhütte, Berghaus Hochschneeberg.
- Circular hiking trail around the Waxriegel
- Souvenir shop at Puchberg station and in the mountain station
- Wheelchair and pushchair accessible more information on accessibility
- Mountain railway station enables visitors to board and disembark comfortably regardless of weather conditions
- Individually designed programmes for tour groups and school classes
|Opening hours of the Schneebergbahn|
Off-season rides to Hochschneeberg mountain railway station
|Other Schneebergbahn rides|
Autumn rides to Baumgartner Station
Low Season Fares 2022
|30.04. – 30.06. & 01.10. – 13.11.||Uphill and downhill||Uphill or downhill|
|Adults (From 16 years)||€ 39,00||€ 29,00|
|Children (6 to 15 years)||€ 19,00||€ 14,00|
|Reduced fares *||€ 34,00||€ 25,00|
|Dogs (mandatory muzzle and leash)||€ 17,00||€ 11,00|
Peak Season Fares 2022
|01 July to 30 September||Uphill and downhill||Uphill or downhill|
|Adults (From 16 years)||€ 42,50||€ 33,00|
|Children (6 to 15 years)||€ 20,50||€ 16,00|
|Reduced fares *||€ 37,50||€ 29,00|
|Dogs (mandatory muzzle and leash)||€ 19,50||€ 13,00|
Special tariffs 2022
|Valid from 30 April to 13 November|
|Early Bird Ticket||
valid for one descent before 12:00 from the Hochschneeberg cable car station or the Baumgartner station
|Hengsthütten hiking ticket||
valid for one mountain trip from 14:30 to the Hengsthütte stop
* Reduced fares:
- Senior citizens aged 65 and over
- Passengers with a disability of 70% or more (note on disability pass)
- Groups from 20 persons (additionally every 21st person free of charge)
- Lower Austria Family Pass holders
- Holders of a Puchberg guest pass
- ÖBB non-tariff travel concessions (ATF)
- School and youth groups of 10 or more persons up to the age of 19. For every 5 pupils, one adult accompanying person is transported at the same fare.
- Children under 6 years of age are carried free of charge (1 child per accompanying adult as lap seat, in case of seat occupation the child fare will be charged).
- Accompanying persons or assistance dogs registered in the disability pass are carried free of charge.
Notes & Remarks:
- For the ascent with the nostalgic steam train a surcharge of € 10,- per person will be charged. The downhill journey is at the regular rate.
- Out of consideration for animal welfare, it is not possible to take dogs on the Nostalgia Steam Train for reasons of space. We ask for your understanding.
- Groups of 20 or more people and school and youth groups of 10 or more people require a written reservation. The cancellation and reservation conditions apply.
Tip: Book tickets online
Please note the limited seating capacity of our trains. To avoid waiting times, we recommend that you conveniently purchase tickets in advance via the webshop: Buy tickets