Drop Your Cultural Anchor in the Wachau and Visit the Kunstmeile Krems (Krems Art Mile)!
Located at the intersection of historical sights and the extraordinary cultural landscape of the Wachau, the Krems Art Mile Exhibition Halls – Karikaturmuseum Krems (the Krems Caricature Museum) & the Kunsthalle Krems (the Art Museum Krems) – offer a wide range of high-quality exhibitions and events all year round. In the first half of 2019, the Landesgalerie Niederösterreich (Lower Austrian Provincial Gallery) opens its doors with its first exhibition, opposite the Art Museum Krems. The new museum will be a dynamic exhibition venue for Austrian art and will complement the Krems Art Mile with another great exhibition house that should not be missed!
The Caricature Museum Krems
The Caricature Museum Krems can be found in the middle of the Krems Art Mile. Built by Gustav Peichl, aka IRONIMUS, this museum is the only one of its kind in Austria devoted entirely to humour and satire, and true to the motto: “Laughter is healthy”.
Just a 5-minute walk from the ship station Krems-Stein, the Caricature Museum Krems attracts thousands of visitors to the Wachau every year. The newly designed permanent presentation, ‚IMMER WIEDER DEIX!‘ ( ‘DEIX AGAIN & AGAIN!’), looks back on the extraordinary work of Manfred Deix (1949 – 2016) – the “enfant terrible” of the German-speaking caricature scene – and presents a colourful collection of his wonderful “Deixfiguren” (“Deix Figures”). Parallel to this, temporary exhibitions by local and international artists will be shown!
The Art Museum Krems
The future orientation of the Art Museum Krems will be interdisciplinary, progressive and international and will feature established and emerging young artists. Art, after 1945, is shown whereby the emphasis is placed on contemporary art. The presentations will take the form of a comprehensive range of themes and solo exhibitions. As an additional exhibition venue, the Kunsthalle Krems has obtained the Dominican Church in the city centre of Krems, whose Gothic interior will be finished with contemporary art in the summer months.
- Austria’s only museum devoted to humour, comic and cartoon
- Popular attraction in the Wachau
- High-quality exhibitions
- Additional cultural offers nearby
- Top restaurants in the immediate area
- Direct connection to the Donauschifffahrt (Danube Shipping)
- MANFRED DEIX. Immer wieder Deix! (Deix Again & Again!) Permanent presentation
- IRONIMUS 90. Jetzt mal keine Politik! (No Politics!) Cartoons from 1948 – 2018, until 27/05/2018
- SOKOL – Auslese (Selection) until 25/11/2018
- AHOJ NACHBAR! (Ahoy Neighbour!) Satire and Caricatures from the Czech Republic. 03/06/2018 – 20/01/2019
- THOMAS SPITZER – Rockomix ein Leben lang! (Rockomix a lifetime!) 09/12/2018 – 10/02/2019
- AXEL HÜTTE. Imperial – Majestic – Magical. until 10/06/2018
- LIZZY FITCH / RYAN TRECARTIN. Premise Place (edit 1) – in cooperation with the donaufestival (Danube Festival) 27/04 – 10/06/2018
- PICASSO. GORKY. WARHOL. Sculptures and Work out of Paper. Collection Hubert Looser. 01/07 – 04/11/2018
- PER KIRKEBY 25/11/2018 – 24/02/2019
- PERRINE LACROIX. In cooperation with AIR – Artist in Residence Niederösterreich (Lower Austria) 25/11/2018 – 24/02/2019
- Audio guide for “Immer wieder Deix!” Caricature Museum Krems
- Video tour of “Axel Hütte” Krems Art Museum
- Restaurants in the area
- Museum shop
- Suitable for wheelchairs
- Different programmes and mediation for all age groups
- Family Factory: Every 3rd Saturday of the month: 14:00 – 17:00 in the studio of the Krems Art Mile.
- ART, coffee & Kipferl (Austrian Croissant) on selected Sundays: 10:30 – 12:30
- Art meets…YOU! Workshop for adults on selected Wednesdays: from 17:00
- Little (ones) experience big (things) – a new format for parents and their children, once a month on a Thursday
- For more information, please go to: www.karikaturmuseum.at & www.kunsthalle.at
Caricature Museum Krems or Krems Art Museum:
Adult: € 10.00
Discount: *€ 9.00
Group (20 people of more): € 8.00
Family Ticket (2 adults + max. 4 children (U18): € 18.00
Family Ticket (Discount with NÖ Family Pass): € 16.00
Pupil: € 3.50
Child (U6): FREE
Youth, Apprentice and Student ( aged 19-26), Senior and Disabled
Guided Tour: Group (20 people or more): € 3.00 per person
Guided Tour: Group (under 20 people): € 55.00 - Tour flat rate
TOP Combo Ticket:
The TOP Combo Ticket allows you entry to the Top Exhibition Halls of the Krems Art Mile.
Caricature Museum Krems
Krems Art Museum
Combo Ticket for Individuals: € 15.00 per person
Combo Ticket for Groups (20 people or more): € 14.00 per person
This Combo Ticket can be obtained at the: Krems Art Museum, Caricature Museum Krems and Forum Frohner.
Our Tip for your TripThe Door to The Wachau - A World Heritage Region
- Krems Art Mile
- Göttweig Monastery
- Boat trip through the Wachau with Brandner Cruises
- Walking Tour through Krems (Weinstadtmuseum - wine museum, Gozzoburg, …)
For information about restaurants and “Heurige” in the area, please go to: www.weinstrassen.at.www.kunsthalle.at www.karikaturmuseum.at