Experiencing, feeling and enjoying history and garden art – that’s what Schlosspark Laxenburg (Laxenburg Castle Park) stands for. Leisure experiences to suit your taste in breathtaking surroundings. This, and much more, awaits you in Austria’s largest landscaped gardens. Trace the footsteps of the Habsburg Dynasty while enjoying a yearly programme full of a wide variety of activities.
Laxenburg Castle Park is among the most significant historical landscaped gardens in Europe. In addition to a multitude of monuments, pleasure buildings and picturesque garden areas, you can also discover the majestic crowning of the park: The “Little Treasure House of Austria” – the Franzensburg!
As a recreation destination, Laxenburg Castle offers plenty of variety and flair in historic surroundings – yet is only 25km from Vienna’s St. Stephen’s Cathedral. A host of leisure activities, both cultural and sports-related. Numerous family-friendly facilities (especially the 6,000 sqm playground) and absolute tranquility in beautifully landscaped grounds. During the season from Easter to All Saints‘ Day (1 November), ferry, boat hire on the castle lake and guided tours of the Franzensburg castle.
Highlights for 2020
- Varied and exciting Sunday programme on the first 3 Sundays in September and October with guided park tours, matinee performances in the summer house by the Laxenburg-Biedermannsdorf Music School, educational forest tours by the „Die Spur“ association
- „Gartensommer Niederösterreich“ 2020
- Museum in the Franzensburg expected from 1 July – 1 November 2020. There are guided tours of the museum at 11am, 12am, 2pm and 3pm and of the tower and roof at 1pm and 4pm (museum tour in the event of bad weather)
Castle park – entrances.
There are three entrances to the castle park. The main entrance to the park (P1) is open all year round. The Stable (P2) entrance and the Recreation Centre entrance (P3) will be opened on busy days, especially at the weekend. We have 1,000 free car parking spaces. Please follow the parking guidance system.Laxenburg is about 25km from the centre of Vienna on the A2 motorway in the direction of Graz. Driving time from Vienna to Laxenburg is approximately 30 minutes. Laxenburg is also easy to reach by public transport. A bus leaves the Südtirolerplatz in Vienna every half an hour and there is also a bus service from Mödling train station. The EuroVelo 9 cycle route from Vienna Inzersdorf to Bad Schönau takes you directly to Laxenburg. You will find plenty of parking spaces near the main entrance (P1)
Enjoy your leisure time in the castle park.
Austria’s biggest historical landscaped garden with impressive ornamental buildings and a 10km network of trails, a recreation centre with the distinctive „Flieger & Flieger“ restaurant and the waterside buffet at the castle pond.
During the season from 1 May – 1 November 2020:
- Franzensburg. from 1 July – 1 November 2020 museum tours and tours on the high tower and roofs. Museum shop open daily from 10.30am – 4.30pm. The long established ferry to the Franzensburg, Café Meierei with its large terrace adjacent to the castle pond.
- Boat hire. Experience the atmosphere of the castle park from the water. The castle pond covers 25ha and is perfect for a family outing.
- Excursion train. Explore the sights and sounds of Laxenburg castle park on a trip with our scenic train, the „Laxenburg Express“.
- Children’s playground. 6,000 sqm of space designed to be „close to nature“ will keep children happy for ages.
- Imperial walks. Improve your personal fitness on one of our 3 signposted walking/jogging trails – from 7.7 to 3.1km.
- A wedding in Imperial surroundings. Spend the most wonderful day of your life at one of the picturesque locations in the castle park or in the Old Castle chapel.
We are glad to announce the reopening of our castle gardens since 1st May, 2020. Because of the Austrian government’s law this reopening is coupled with several rules. So we all have to take care about these specifications dealing with personal safety and hygiene. Additionally to our visitor regulations please note the following points:
- Entering the castle gardens for visitors is possible daily from 7.00 am to 7.30 pm (The castle gardens are opened daily from 7.00 am to 8.30 pm)
- Access to the castle gardens:
Main entrance (P1) – opened daily
Entrance Reitstall (P2) – opened on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays
Entrance Erholungszentrum (P3) – opened daily
- Please note: The castle gardens are closed in the nights and will be locked daily at 8.30 pm. Staying inside the castle gardens at night is prohibited!
- Always take a Mouth-Nose protection mask with you!
- Please keep distance, at least 1m to all the other visitors and our employees!
- The boat hire is opened: Please take care about the specifications shown at hire.
- The restaurants are opened: Restaurant Flieger & Flieger, Teichbuffet at the boat hire, Café Meierei at Franzensburg castle; Please take care about the specifications shown at all oulets.
- The ferry boat to Franzensburg castle is daily opened from 10.00 am to 7.00 pm:Wearing a Mouth-Nose protection mask is obligatory. On the ferry boat here are max. 10 persons allowed.
- The shop at Franzensburg castle is opened: Wearing a Mouth-Nose protection mask is obligatory, please note the specifications shown at the shop.
- The scenic train operates: Please note the specifications shown at the train.
- Wearing a Mouth-Nose protection mask is obligatory in all toilettes.
- The museum at Franzensburg castle will be reopened at July 1st, 2020. At the museum wearing a Mouth-Nose protection mask is obligatory because of the less space inside.
For your own welfare we kindly ask you to follow these guidelines, thanks for your understanding!
Changing conditions will be reported imediately on this site and on social media.
Please take care of yourself and the persons next to you! We are looking forward to see you healthy again!
Schloss Laxenburg Betriebsgesellschaft mbH
During the season from 1 May to 1 November 2020:
Tours at the Franzensburg, from 1 July – 1. November 2020, daily at 11am, 12am, 2pm and 3pm.
Tours of the high tower and roofs daily at 1pm and 4pm.
Tours for groups from 10 people daily from 10am to 4pm by prior arrangement
Ferry to Franzensburg: Monday – Friday 10am – 7pm, Saturday/Sunday/public holidays: 10am – 7pm
Scenic train: at the moment out of order!
Adults EUR 2,80
Children from 6 up to 14 years of age (up to 18 with student ID) EUR 1,50
Dogs (strictly on leash) EUR 2,40
Tour of museum or tour of tower and roof
Adults EUR 11,00
Children up to 14 years of age (up to 18 with student ID) EUR 7,00
Family ticket (2 adults + up to 3 Children) EUR 28,00
Ferry to Franzensburg
Adult/child/dog per crossing EUR 0,70
Franzensburg group prices (from 10 people by arrangement)
„Spaziergang“ (admission to park, return ferry trip, tour of Franzensburg)
Adults EUR 13,00
Children up to 14 years of age (up to 18 with student ID) EUR 7,00
„Bummelzug“ (admission to park, return ferry trip, tour of Franzensburg, transfer by scenic train)
Adults EUR 16,50
Children up to 14 years of age (up to 18 with student ID) EUR 9,50
Tour of the castle park
See event calender or inquire
Adults EUR 10,00
Children up to 14 years of age (up to 18 with student ID) EUR 5,00
Family ticket (2 adults + up to 3 Children) EUR 24,00